McCarthy has been a community builder for 150 years. Founded as a family owned business, we are now 100% employee owned. Across America each employee has a personal stake in our company's future. The net result? An empowering and entrepreneurial environment directed towards providing clients with creative and value-oriented building solutions.
While much has changed over the years, many significant things have not. First and foremost, we're builders. Self-performance remains the foundation of our business. The rock on which we all stand. Couple this hands-on approach with a passionate belief in our people; a desire to build relationships based on trust and integrity; and a deeply-felt obligation to give back to our communities. Now, you begin to understand what lies at the heart of McCarthy—what truly sets us apart.
Our never-ending goal is to be The Best Builder in America.
- Founded in 1864 and the oldest American construction company with offices nationally
- 100% employee owned
- One of the top 10 U.S. commercial builders
- Headquartered in St. Louis with community-based offices nationwide
- $3 billion in annual revenues
- 1,600 full-time salaried and 1,200 weekly payroll employees
- A diverse culture built around teamwork, respect and long-term relationships
- Financially strong with significant bonding capacity
- Over 70% of work from repeat clients
- Experience in 44 states
- We're builders, not just brokers—there is a difference
McCarthy is nationally recognized for tackling the toughest construction challenges. We are an industry leader in a diverse array of building categories:
- Unparalleled in-house, end-to-end workflow solutions—from preconstruction through completion
- Proven experience in all project delivery methods and contract types
- Dedicated Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) specialists
- Cutting-edge communications and project management tools
- McCarthy BUILD U® training program positions our builders at the leading edge of new means, methods and technology
- Trained green building specialists and in-place systems track and help achieve sustainable goals
- Strong relationships with subcontractors and design partners
- A commitment to diversity, minority mentoring and collaboration
- Established and continuously enhanced field procedures to reflect McCarthy and industry best practices
- Award-winning, proactive safety program, with a focus on total project safety
- One-of-a-kind quality program that raises the industry bar on building enclosure, water infiltration and MEP coordination
- Accurate and timely project closeout
- Planned growth built upon a solid strategic foundation
- Continue to foster an ownership culture where each partner is empowered to make a difference
- Further enhance our culture built around training
- Continuing to cultivate diversity in our people, purchases and projects
- A true commitment to finding and nurturing a new generation of builders
- Creatively developing new value-added services for our clients and partners
"When you select McCarthy,
you get a company of owner-employees completely focused on delivering to each project the best possible combination of people, training, systems and technology."
Michael D. Bolen
Chairman/Chief Executive Officer
McCarthy Building Companies, Inc.